1994, Middle Temple
Member of Personal Injury Bar Association
LLB (Hons), Queen Mary College, University of London
SPECIALIST AREAS OF PRACTICE
Michael specialises in personal injury litigation. He advises and appears on behalf of Claimants and Defendants. He has experience of the full spectrum of catastrophic injury claims, including spinal injury, brain injury, amputation and chronic pain. His caseload is predominantly multi-track claims exceeding £100,000 and he has represented both Claimants and Defendants on claims with a value in excess of £1m. He has a wealth of experience of joint settlement meetings and mediations.
NOTABLE RECENT CASES
• Armstrong v Haslam Homes (LTL 14/2/2012) - Instructed by the Defendant on a 3 day liability only trial in the High Court against leading counsel. The claim by an infant in respect of a catastrophic brain injury was dismissed. The duty of care owed by the local authority with respect to the dangers on adjoining land was considered.
• Pykett v Clement, NIG & Aviva  EWHC 2925 - Instructed on behalf of Aviva in a 2 day liability only trial in the High Court. Claims by a claimant who was rendered paraplegic (agreed value circa £3m) and a claimant who had suffered a traumatic brain injury were dismissed and guidance was given by the High Court as to the duty of care owed by one driver to another overtaking driver.
• Huckbody v Jones, 2011 - Instructed by the Claimant who developed a chronic pain syndrome and was awarded in excess of £300,000 after a 3 day quantum only trial.
• Ashburner v Furness Scaffolding, 2011 - Instructed on behalf of the Claimant who sustained serious multiple injuries when a scaff old he was working on collapsed. At the conclusion of a 5 days liability and quantum trial the Claimant was awarded damages in excess of £325,000.
• Wolstenholme v McLaren Racing Ltd, 2011 - Instructed on behalf of the Claimant, a Formula 1 mechanic, who was struck by a wheel during testing sustaining severe injury to his wrist that prevented a return to his Formula 1 career. Settlement reached following a joint settlement meeting circa £400,000. (With Chris Kennedy QC).
• Oughton v Gibson, 2011 - Instructed on behalf of the Defendant in relation to a claim arising out of a traumatic brain injury. Case settled at a mediation with leading counsel representing the Claimant.
• McKeown v Matrix Polymers, 2012 - Instructed in behalf of the Claimant who suffered an amputation of his dominant hand in an accident at work. Th e claim settled on a gross valuation of circa £750,000.
• Herbert v Quarr Group, 2012 - Instructed on behalf of the Defendant in a traumatic brain injury claim. Liability was apportioned 80/20 in the Defendant’s favour and the claim settled at a JSM for a gross valuation of circa £300,000.
• Molak v PowerPlus Engineering, 2012 - Instructed on behalf of the Claimant in a fatal accident that occurred when a large container fell onto the deceased. Th e claim settled for circa £300,000.
• Sutcliffe v Isle, 2011 - Instructed by the Defendant on a claim where the Claimant suffered Cauda Equina syndrome following a cycling accident. Settled for in excess of £500,000.
Nine St John Street Chambers 'Brochure Creator'. From here you are able to create a personlised PDF of profiles you have viewed while browsing the site, you can then download your brochure as a PDF to use on your PC, Tablet or print a hard copy.