AREAS OF PRACTICE
Exclusively Chancery and Commercial litigation, particularly:
- Professional Negligence
Solicitors (especially in connection with misconduct of conveyancing and litigation), accountants and surveyors.
- Trusts, Wills, Probate & Administration of Estates
Construction of wills and trusts, contentious probate, administration actions and "Beddoe" applications.
Actions for dissolution remedies, partnership disputes and insolvency.
Including restrictive covenants, boundary disputes, easements, adverse possession and co-ownership (constructive trust and proprietary estoppel claims, applications to court for orders for sale).
- Landlord & Tenant
Including disrepair, possession claims, forfeiture and Landlord & Tenant Act 1954 applications.
- Commercial Contracts
- Family Provision
Inheritance Act 1975 applications for and against all classes of applicant.
- Chambers Treasurer
- Former Research Assistant at The Law Commission (Property & Trust Law Team), 1994 - 1995.
- Perry v. Neupert (Ch D - John Martin, QC) 19.7.18 LTL (Administration of Justice Act 1985, s.50 - application to remove a personal representative - joinder)
- Perry v. Neupert  EWHC 1788 (Ch) (Administration of Justice Act 1985, s.50 - application to remove a personal representative - successful appeal against summary judgment)
- Burns v. Burns  EWCA Civ 37 (Validity of wills - testamentary capacity - knowledge & approval - mentally impaired testatrix)
- Anselm v. Buckle  EWCA Civ 311 (Landlord and Tenant - Damages)
- JJ Metcalfe Ltd. v. Dennison (LTL 6.12.13 HHJ Raynor, QC, Technology & Construction Court) (Civil Procedure - Construction Law)
- Re St Michael and All Angels, Isel (October 2010, Ecclesiastical Law Journal, Vol. 13, No. 2, p.248) (Right of way - consecrated land - easements - interested person - standing)
- Re Pearce, Decd  2 FLR 705 (Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 - claim by adult child - appeal to Court of Appeal)
Examples of Other Work
- Indian Workers Association, Bradford - litigation concerning ownerships of club premises - constitutional dispute
- UK Learning Academy Ltd. v. Secretary of State for Education - 13 day trial in the Circuit Commercial Court in Leeds - claim to further remuneration under a commercial contract
- O'Neill v. Holland - dispute between former cohabitees over a valuable portfolio of investment properties
- Donohoe v. Bannister - proprietary estoppel claim to ownership of the site of stables
- Successful family provision claim for adult children of an abusive parent - won at trial (Simpson Decd, unreported)
- Successful defence at trial of the validity of a challenged will - issues of capacity, undue influence, knowledge and approval - associated partnership issues (Bainbridge v. Hebson, unreported, Chancery Division, Manchester, HHJ Pelling, QC)
- Simpson v. Ridley - 5 day trial - prescriptive claim to a right of way to taxi aircraft
- Preliminary issue in ancillary relief proceedings - issues as to ownership of valuable farms and partnership property - successfully concluded in favour of client wife
- Sale of goods - claim concerning the quality of breeze blocks used in the construction of 22 homes - TCC Leeds - ongoing
- Professional negligence - solicitors - conveyancing - claim in the High Court concerning the purchase of a home in West Cumbria with numerous title defects
- Bankruptcy - offshore trust - litigation concerning efficacy of a charging order